In 1986 Jerry McNabb and Steve Connolly established ‘McNabb Connolly.’ Both started their careers in the Educational Film industry in the mid seventies. Jerry was the Executive Director of the Canadian Film Makers Distribution Centre and Steve worked with Magic Lantern Films.
The focus then, as it is today, was to concentrate on acquiring the best Canadian programs being produced in any given genre. This led us to sign titles from:
- Owl TV
- Playing With Time, (Degrassi)
- Cambium Productions (Sharon, Lois and Bram's Elephant Show)
- Sullivan Films (Anne of Green Gables)
- White Pine Pictures (A Scattering of Seeds and many stand alone docs)
- Good Earth Productions (History Lands, Great Canadian Parks, Great Canadian Rivers)
- Rhombus Media
And more recently;
- Sinking Ship (This is Daniel Cook, This is Emily Yeung, and Are We There Yet?)
- marblemedia (This is Daniel Cook, This is Emily Yeung and Taste Buds)
- Cooper Rock Pictures (Drug Class)
- Apartment 11 (Cross Country Fun Hunt, Finding Stuff out, Look Kool, Mystery Files)
Releases from a number of U.S. companies were also part of our early library:
- Bullfrog Films (Award-winning programs on the Environment)
- Direct Cinema (Academy Award winning Documentaries)
- Filmakers Library (Health/Social issues)
- Weston Woods Studios (The world’s leading producer of programs based on outstanding children's literature.)
- And more recently; The Video Project, Documentary Educational Resources
From this foundation, McNabb Connolly has continued to acquire quality programs. Today, we are proud to represent over 150 independent Canadian producers and a growing number of distributors/producers from around the world, most notably the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC).
Technological change has always been one of our biggest challenges. Having lived through the 16mm > VHS > DVD > Streaming format evolution, we continue to explore and discover new opportunities for our producers.
Jerry passed away in 2000, leaving Steve to manage things. Steve’s wife, Anne, oversees the acquisitions and marketing. Bea Morton is National Sales Manager and Janice Hadfield handles the order processing and everything to do with administration.
Our office is located in the quaint village of Port Credit on the shores of Lake Ontario.